Ah, yes. The time has come to put away the bikinis and start working again on Fridays—but September also signifies new career beginnings, pumpkin spice everything, and some really fun things to do. Below, your ultimate September checklist:
1. Get a PSL and grab your favorite novel on Read a Book Day. (Sept. 6)
Good thing it’s a Sunday because now you have an excuse to sit on your couch all day and laugh out loud, take a trip back in time, or get healthy.
2. Enjoy your day off on Labor Day. (Sept. 7)
Even though no one actually knows who started the holiday (read more fun facts about Labor Day), we’re really glad that we can rely on it every year. Have a picnic, take your last beach trip, or simply kick it back and relax.
3. Be part of a new era with The Late Show With Stephen Colbert. (Sept. 8)
Over the summer, we said goodbye to our dear friend Jon Stewart, and now it’s time to welcome a new person into the late night space: Stephen Colbert. We’re expecting a doozy for his first episode, so stay tuned.
4. Take a moment of silence for Patriot Day. (Sept. 11)
This day is your opportunity to remember those who died and those who fought for our country just 14 years ago. We will never forget.
5. Call up your grandma or grandpa in celebration of Grandparents Day. (Sept. 13)
Maybe they send you $5 dollars every now and then or you just know that they’re always going to love you no matter what, but take a moment to simply say thanks and that you love them, too!
6. Get a history lesson on Mexican Independence Day. (Sept. 16)
It’s the equivalent of July 4th in America and marks the end of the Mexican War on Independence. Look out for our upcoming book list of awesome hispanic authors, because it’s also National Hispanic Month!
7. Have a Parks and Recreation marathon for Amy Poehler’s 44th birthday. (Sept. 16)
She’s one of the funniest women alive, and yet still sets an amazing role model for young women and girls everywhere. Between her Smart Girls campaign, her awesome book Yes Please, and her ability to play the coolest TV character, clearly there’s reason enough to celebrate her birthday.
8. Give your work BFF a hug on National Women’s Friendship Day. (Sept. 20)
Friends are an important part of a person’s life, and because sometimes we all take them for granted, here’s your chance to say how much you truly appreciate your friends in your life.
9. Whip out your favorite cable-knit sweater for the first day of fall. (Sept. 23)
Apple-picking, staying in on Saturday nights, and wearing yoga pants every day will be acceptable once again, thanks to the first day of fall. Wahoo!
10. Set your DVR for Shonda Thursdays. (Sept. 24)
This is the day that your favorite dramas return for the fall season. Grey’s Anatomy,Scandal, and How to Get Away With Murder all premiere on this glorious Thursday, so you should start preparing your snacks now.